Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Horticulturist - Irrigation and Nutrition
Costa is Australia’s leading grower, packer and marketer of premium quality fresh fruit and vegetables. We nurture our people, cultivate our growing sites and invest in ongoing research and development.
All of the products we grow and sell are fresh, nutritious, unprocessed and grown on our very own farms or those of our partner growers.
The Costa Berry Category is at the forefront of genetic growing and innovation. We export to some of the most demanding markets in the world, so food safety is paramount. In all that we grow, we are committed to sustainable production and growing.
People are at the heart of the Costa business and across our regions we are a major employer with more than 6,000 workers during our peak seasons.
About the opportunity:
You will be joining a small Horticultural team with a growth mindset. We are looking for a team player to provide excellent support to the Horticultural manager.
You will be responsible for the blueberry irrigation and nutrition including; monitoring the daily hydroponic fertigation systems, data analysis and providing guidance to the irrigation teams on best practices. The Irrigation and Nutrition Horticulturist will ensure proactive identification of issues that may have adverse effect on crop health and yield, and act decisively when seeking solutions and executing controls. At the heart of all effort is the improvement of plant performance, longevity, and profitability.
We are a leader in Blueberry genetics with our varieties licensed through Driscoll's. The possibilities for development within Costa are abundant. You will have the support and collaboration from your direct team as well as benefit from learnings from experts across the broader Berry category and industry.
If you believe you have the passion, qualities and experience for this role then we are interested in you!
Where is the role located? The role is based on the picturesque Atherton Tablelands, nearby the beautiful Cairns: https://www.athertontablelands.com.au/.
What we offer:
- Permanent, Fulltime position + Base Salary + Superannuation
- Experience growth and learn from an expert team who are generous with their knowledge
- Opportunities to specialise and progress within Costa
- Full IT Kit provided
- Passport to Success Program (first 6 months of role)
- Annual iGROW Performance Review Process
- Free Access to an Employee Assistant Program
- Opportunities for mentorships and coaching
- Potential for travel and work in other regions within the Berry Category
About the role:
- Primary focus on blueberry irrigation and nutrition
- Monitor, report and make decisions on daily hydroponic fertigation requirements including EC and pH management.
- Manage and analyse data – collect samples for nutrient analysis, collate and prepare reports
- Provide strong technical guidance to irrigation teams to ensure best management strategies are adhered to.
- Involvement in areas of crop productions such as: trial work, planning, canopy management, research and development projects and pest and disease
- Coordination of horticultural activities in conjunction with operations teams
- Initiate trial work to increase plant yields or improve crop timing
- Lead harvesting and data collection of variety improvement projects
- Support, monitor and manage budget requirements, adhering to financial requirements and schedules as directed by HM and Regional Manager. Track financial performance regularly to ensure compliance with budgetary requirements.
- Use knowledge gained to identify favourable traits within certain crops and implement strategies to realise its full potential
To be successful in this role you will have;
- Horticultural or agricultural qualifications (Degree) or equivalent experience
- Relevant experience within irrigation and nutrition management
- A passion for plant production and a strong desire for wanting to obtain knowledge
- A passion for field work and be involved in day-to-day operations
- Previous exposure to budget and KPI's
- High level of organisation and planning skills
- The ability to make decisions independently and act with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrate high level of accountability, commitment and performance
In addition, you should have excellent ability to:
- Communicate clearly with strong interpersonal skills for people management
- Influence and work alongside a diverse range of people
- Use Microsoft Word and Excel
Costa is seeking applicants who can demonstrate their behaviour in line with the Costa Values (https://costagroup.com.au/about-us/values/)
Check out “Costa Well Grown” at https://vimeo.com/333655457
For more information on this role, please contact the berries HR team through HRCostaBerry@costagroup.com.au
Applications will close once the right candidate has been selected, so if you wish to be considered, apply now!