Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Horticultural Manager - Far North Queensland
Costa is Australia’s leading grower, packer and marketer of premium quality fresh fruit and vegetables. We nurture our people, cultivate our growing sites and invest in ongoing research and development.
All of the products we grow and sell are fresh, nutritious, unprocessed and grown on our very own farms or those of our partner growers.
The Costa Berry Category is at the forefront of genetic growing and innovation. We export to some of the most demanding markets in the world, so food safety is paramount. In all that we grow, we are committed to sustainable production and growing.
People are at the heart of the Costa business and across our regions we are a major employer with more than 6,000 workers during our peak seasons.
This role will lead the Horticulture Operations in our Far North Queensland region. Reporting to the Regional Manager, the Horticultural Manager will take responsbility for all horticulture activities on site, supported by a small team. This role also forms part of the Regional Senior Leadership Team, contributing to the overall leadership and direction of the region.
About the role:
This role is currently focused on the blueberry crop which is grown in this region. Key aspects of the role include;
- Undertaking timely and accurate crop forecasts to assist in all other aspects of farm management and planning
- Providing information to necessary parties on crop forecasts and health, identifying any potential deviations from forecast in line with timeline requirements
- Supporting, monitoring and managing budget requirements for horticultural operations, adhering to financial requirements and schedules as directed by the Regional Manager
- Tracking financial performance regularly to ensure compliance with budgetary requirements
- Providing direction and leadership to members of the horticulture team to achieve best overall outcomes
- Providing leadership to appropriate operational teams at some points in the season as required
- Assisting in the development of a scoring matrix for rating key criteria
- Collecting and analysing data to increase our understanding of crop behaviour and conditions required to maximise quality and yield
- Leading on key regional projects as required
To be successful in this role you must have a tertiary qualification in horticulture and demonstrated a minimum of 5 years of horticulture experience with some experience of leading a horticulture operation.
In addition, you should have;
- A diligent, responsive and reliable attitude
- Sound understanding of agronomic variables which drive plant performance
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise
- Ability to communicate effectively and relate to all people
- A strong ability to accurately and precisely capture data in the field
- Understanding of irrigation systems; including irrigation agronomy, fertilisers and growing techniques
- An excellent ability to present information concisely and in a relevant format, including written reporting and group presentations.
- Good computer literacy skills
- Strong commercial accumen
- A strong desire to be in the field amongst the crop and horticulture operations teams
- A valid drivers licence
Costa is seeking applicants who can demonstrate their behaviour in line with the Costa Values (https://costagroup.com.au/about-us/values/)
Once you have submitted your application, please keep an eye on your emails (including your junk/spam folder) as that is the primary way that we will contact you.
For further information please contact the Costa Berries HR Team via HRCostaBerry@costagroup.com.au