Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Assistant Grower - Tomatoes
Assistant Grower (5ha)
This key, hands-on role provides support and back up to the glasshouse Grower Manager, and is an ideal stepping stone to becoming a Grower Manager or Labour Manager in our business.
Assistant Growers play a leading role in the coordination of glasshouse Supervisors and general labour, including recruitment, development and performance management, whilst supporting the Grower Manager with a range of responsibilities including:
- Heating resource plans/actions (coal, gas);
- Climate control system settings and monitoring (Priva - heating, venting, watering);
- Crop nutrition including daily and weekly nutrition actions for all stages of the crop cycle;
- Pest and disease management including implementing daily and weekly control strategies, incorporating IPM;
- Water resource management including daily and weekly actions, operational troubleshooting of water systems and equipment;
- Leading / participating in projects to improve quality, safety, performance and yield;
- Ensuring adherence to safety, quality and hygiene KPI’s, policies and procedures.
The salary range for this role is $65,700 - $76,650 p.a. (base salary + 9.5% superannuation)
Costa is Australia’s leading grower, packer and marketer of premium quality fresh fruit and vegetables. From this market leading position, we work incredibly hard to keep improving the quality of our produce and the service we deliver to our consumers.
With over 60 farms across Australia, our produce categories include:
- Berries (Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries)
- Citrus (Oranges, Lemons, Mandarins, Tangelos, Limes, Grapefruit)
Our produce is supplied to all major Australian supermarket chains, as well as independent grocers and a range of food industry stakeholders. We also export to Asia, North America and Europe.
Costa is committed to sustainable agriculture. Not only is it a key strategy for maximising our profitability, it’s also crucial to ensuring that our country’s natural resources are utilised in both an environmentally responsible and efficient manner. By taking this approach, Costa grows products which are healthy, safe and of the highest quality, while at the same time protecting and improving the natural environment.
About the Tomato Category
Our tomatoes are grown 365 days per year in one of Australia’s largest and most advanced glasshouse facilities, located at Guyra, in the beautiful New England Tablelands region of NSW.
To accommodate our continued business growth, $70+ million expansion project is underway, increasing our production area by 33% and creating an additional 150 jobs onsite. This expansion project will bring our onsite operation to 40ha of glasshouse, 2.5ha propagation nursery, 2 large packing facilities and over 800 staff.
Our state-of-the-art glasshouse technology puts Costa Tomatoes at the forefront of innovation in ecologically sustainable practices and sets us apart in the fruit and vegetable industry.
We currently grow 9 varieties of tomatoes including large truss, cocktail truss and small snacking.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a tomato glasshouse environment, preferably with experience in all areas of crop work;
- A good knowledge of tomato crop nutrition, pest and disease management and growing strategies;
- Ability to undertake operational troubleshooting of common water system, heating system and equipment issues within a glasshouse;
- Experience/exposure to the Priva system (or similar);
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with experience effectively leading a team;
- Be outcome focused with a track record of achieving performance, quality and safety targets;
- Excellent problem solving skills and demonstrated resilience, positivity and perseverance;
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities under pressure;
- Ability to work independently and also effectively as part of a team;
- Strong IT skills;
- Commitment to WHS, quality, hygiene and food safety;
- Tertiary qualification in Horticulture, Agronomy, Plant Science, Agrifood Systems or Rural Science will be highly regarded;
- The passion and determination to progress to the role of Grower Manager or Labour Manager within the Company.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, Closing Date 24 October 2020
For further information or a confidential discussion, please contact Tabitha Collins (HR Manager) 0438 989 508 email@example.com